Walk from the Pont Roman to the Rif
- The trail is short and quite easy, however, it is not recommended to people scared of heights and very young children (few portions are rocky and a bit steep, young children might have to progress with their hands).
- Closed shoes are recommended.
- Follow the road towards the gorges of the Méouge and go down the path on the left along the stone wall towards the "Pont Roman". After the Romanesque bridge (which offers a very nice view on the river), take the path that goes up to the left and follow the GR de Pays (yellow and red marks). Walk pass the ruins of the Pomet mill.
- Reach the pole "La Pinède" and turn right towards St Pierre Avez, then continue straight ahead (still follwing the yellow and red marks). The path runs along the river in the pine forest, then on a rocky balcony, and reaches a picnic area.
- Maybe take a break for a pic nic or a dipp and continue. At the path junction, leave the GR de Pays to follow the PR markings to the right (yellow marks). Cross the footbridge and carry on on the left to join the road 200 meters after (pole "Le Rif", bus stop).
- In summer, parking is prohibited during the day along the Gorges de la Méouge, whilst the summer-bus is running. This trail is actually made for people who take the bus, as it runs from one bus stop to another.
- This trail is not recommended to people scared of heights, and very young children.
- This trail is not recommended in the winter and after big storms.
- You can also do the trail in the other way (from Le Rif to the Pont Roman)
- You are there on a Natura 2000 site. Natura 2000 hikes are organized in summer by the Smigiba to discover the different environments and the remarkable species that live on site: http://www.smigiba.fr
- Along the Méouge, several mills were used to grind cereals, walnuts and almonds; they were also used to "break" the hemp mesh to soften the fabric of clothing. Downstream from the mills, in a "paroir" these clothes were scraped, cleaned before they could be used.
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: