La Bastié source
This route goes up onto the wild ridges between the Monges summit and Jouère summit. The rise through the forest allows you to reach the Sapie pass where the landscape opens onto mountain pastures and offers a great panoramic view on the surrounding mountains and further, the Durance valley.
The Clot des Martres ridge is located between the Jouère mountain and the Monges massif. The Sapie pass (1744 meters) allows you to overcome the ridge, linking Authon to la Sapie. Many waterways arise from the ridge side.
- From the parking lot, reach the “Authon” signpost and follow the tarred road towards “Tabaillon”.
- At the junction after a left turn, take the road on your right and a few meters further turn right again on another track. On your way, you will be able to see many signposts – continue forward towards “Col de la Sapie”. The track follows the river’s bed and goes up to reach a pine trees forest. Passing through the canyons, an old bridge (called “Pont de Piouret”) is visible underneath. Further, you will meet a limestone concretion waterfall covered with green moss called “tuff” and a cool source. Go on the track.
- At the next junction, follow the track on your left (near the fence) and reach a small clearing (where wood is stored). Go towards the Sapie pass and take a path going up on your right. The path transforms into a skidding track. You can reach the path again a few meters upon the track by straddling the cultivation way. The route sometimes is a track and sometimes a path crossing through blossomed meadows during spring. Enjoy the view from time to time. Once the summit of a grassy hillock reached, turn left into the forest and pass by an old wall made with dried stones. A few meters further, the path goes up on the right under pine trees (be careful, the path is not clear, you can easily be lost). It slowly exits from the pine trees forest and crosses over a small ravine.
- At the junction, go on the one on the right leading to the mountain pastures.
- At the Sapie pass, follow the ridge on the left for about 2 km (towards “Baisse de Dormeilleuse”). Walk along a fence and reach the hamlet.
- At the « Baisse de Dormeilleuse » signpost, go down to Authon alongside the ranging poles. At the upper part of a small valley, the path turns on the right and goes down. After the mountain pastures, the path goes through broom flowers and tall grass, crosses a meadow to reach a maquis landscape again. You must jump over some park doors (please close the doors behind you) to reach a track.
- When you are on the track, go down to the right and 60 meters further take a small path on the left cutting through fields. Walk down and reach Briançon hamlet. From Briançon, cross the hamlet and reach the departmental road D 3. Follow it on the left toward Authon.
- 170 meters further, a path on the left allows you to cut through a hairpin bend. Reach the road at the next bend. Follow it until Authon. Reach the departure point parking lot at the opposite of the village.
Caution : pastoral zone, shepherd dogs are active.
Access and parking
From the roundabout at the north of Sisteron, take the departmental road D951 and the departmental road D 3 to Saint Geniez. Cross the village and go on the D 3 to reach Authon.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: