- From the parking lot, reach the “Authon” signpost and follow the way leading to Fontbelle pass. The route borrows a small part of the road and leaves at the first hairpin bend for a forest path on the opposite. Further, join the road once again and after a short rise in an embankment, turn left about 50 meters further.
- Follow the road until the next signpost at Font Benette fountain (picnic area) and climb up the path heading to Font Benette crossroads.
- At the “Carrefour de Font Benette”, take the path on your left and reach a forest one. From the forest path, you are only a few meters away from the ammonite’s slab on the right.
- Take a look at the fossilised ammonites hills and go on the track.
- At the « Sentier de la Grotte » signpost, reach the GR6 markings for a return trip to discover Saint Vincent cave. Once the “Sentier de la Grotte” junction reached again, go back down towards Authon by following the GR6 markings. On your way, catch up with the “Carrefour des Font Benette” you crossed earlier and follow the path on the left. The route slightly goes down through a beautiful beech forest and ends up in a zigzag under pine trees.
- Go back to the departure road leading to Authon.
Check the weather before doing this hiking
Saint-Vincent cave is also accessible from the Fontbelle pass parking lot.
The route is an easy return trip (blue level) but pass through a forest path (Only 1/8 of the route is on a path by taking the variant from the pass.)
The Fontbelle road is closed during winter.
Access and parking
From the roundabout at the north of Sisteron, take the departmental road D 951 and the departmental road D 3 towards Saint Geniez. Cross the village and go on the D 3 towards Authon.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: