Taking its source in the heart of the national forest of Beynon, the Riou dug its gorges. The Gorges du Riou connects the Jubéo Forest and the village of Saint-Genis.
- Take the road that goes up to the village.Cross it by walking along the main street. Then take the wide path laid out through the marls. Continue straight on: the path, leveled, gradually leads to the entrance of the Riou gorges.
- Turn right on an old stone bridge and cross the Riou. Continue on the opposite bank and walk along the ruins nestled at the foot of the cliff on your right. The trail begins to rise forming wide, regular switchbacks. Go up until you reach a forest track.
- Then turn left for about a hundred meters then left again on an other track. Walk along a yellow cistern, and continue to a directional post ("RF du Château").
- Take left again along the path which gradually descends to the bottom of the gorges. Enjoy the panorama before starting the final descent. Through a tunnel dug into the side of the cliff, then thanks to a wooden bridge, get back to the crossing with the small stone bridge. Then return to the village by the route taken on the outbound hike.
In the Riou gorges, it is possible to swim.
The écobalade (eco-walk) helps you to explore and identify plant and animal species using a smartphone application. The Ecobalade application is an ideal game to capture the attention of the youngest and give them a great time in nature. Application available for free at the Apple Store and Play Store.
- Let’s limit our trips and use public transportation and carpooling: https://zou.maregionsud.fr
Access and parking
From Laragne (12 km), take the D 1075 then the D 94 towards Garde-Colombe / Saint-Genis.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: